Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Week 6: Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati #13 Learn about tagging and discover Del.icio.us (a social bookmarking site)

Another adventure...

I helps me to define the things I look at, so here's what I found at the Technorati site:

"Technorati is the recognized authority on what's happening on the World Live Web, right now. The Live Web is the dynamic and always-updating portion of the Web. We search, surface, and organize blogs and the other forms of independent, user-generated content (photos, videos, voting, etc.) increasingly referred to as “citizen media". We rapidly index tens of thousands of updates every hour..."

So from a tagging perspective, technorati is a melting pot of sorts.

As for Library Thing...again individually selected tags that make sense to the contributor...rather than following a standard method as in more traditional settings. I guess what is fabulous about this is at least it does organize the wealth of data linked/accessible via the web. Not for the purist mind you, but definitely functional. Onward...

I just recently started a del.icio.us site. It's a life-saver. For so long I've stumbled through trying to keep track of the various sites that cross my path on a regular basis. It's overwhelming. I had to give up a bit worrying that I was "tagging" things well. The bottom line is that it needs to make sense to me...it needs to reflect the content in a way that will make it accessible in the future when I need it.

I could see this tool being used by anyone doing research over a period of time...personal or academic. It's a way to make some sense out of the chaos. Libraries can use this to make their web presence unique to their patrons. I could see it developed into a reflection of the community interests. Lots of potential for this one.

No comments: