Friday, August 1, 2008

Week 4: RSS & Newsreaders - #8 Learn about RSS feeds and set up your own Bloglines newsreader account.

This week's discovery exercises focus on RSS (Really Simple Syndication).

What do you like about RSS and newsreaders?
I've had a Bloglines account for almost a year now. I cannot imagine how much time it would take to visit each of the sites for updates.
You really can't beat the convenience of this web innovation.
The Blogline account consists of some feeds from my old hometown newspaper, a google search feed created to push any web results for information literacy, a literary agent feed, School Library Journal feed, Joyce Valenza feed, Jim Gates feed, etc...

The initial question didn't ask what I don't particularly like...it's not so much a dislike really, but more reality observation.
Depending on how often you are able to visit your account, the posts can rack up tremendously. I try to check at least once a day just to keep it fluid, but let a week go by and skimming your lists can become quite a task.

For this exercise, I created a (new) Google Reader account and used the keyword option to locate feeds related to information literacy. I added several feeds including "Information Literacy meets Library 2.0, EDUCAUSE, AASL Blog, Library Webhead, some Big6 stuff...

Since I recently created an iGoogle page, I added the Reader.
I may be a bit biased at the moment, but I like the layout of the Bloglines account better. The page layout and organization of the content makes sense to me. Maybe it's a comfort level since I have more experience with Bloglines, but Bloglines seems to better fit my instincts.
It isn't difficult to figure "how to do" the Google stuff, but I don't really feel a mental connection to their design options/features. It seems busy to me. (Ha-Google busy!)
Not just Reader, but across the Google board. I also could not get the manage subscriptions in Reader to work today...frustrating...
I'll have to let it digest for a while. Maybe it will grow on me.

How do you think you might be able to use this technology in your school or personal life?
As for personal, keeping in touch with the highlighted news from back home is comforting. If it wasn't this easy, I probably wouldn't visit (virtually) as often.
As for school...rolling it out to classroom teachers would be a step in the right direction. Current events, content specific sites, personal or professional interest...let's face it...it's all out there. Once the accounts are created and some feeds added...hopefully the time thing will work in their favor.

How can libraries use RSS or take advantage of this new technology?
I haven't thought through this too much yet, but if you were trying to make your library web site a desired stop for your patrons...I wonder if you couldn't include a link to your feed(s). Information about events or initiatives could be shared. This one will require a bit more time.

Lastly...Google Gears...
I like the idea of being able to manage reading your feeds offline. The person in the example has the right scenario commuting on a train. I decided not to enable Google Gears to my Reader account yet. The "agree to" stuff was LONG. Someone spent a great deal of time on this. I appreciate knowing the option exists, but it doesn't fit my purpose as well...yet, anyway.

No comments: