Saturday, August 23, 2008

Week 6: Tagging, Folksonomies & Technorati #15 Read a few perspectives on Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the future of libraries

#15 asks us to write about our perspective regarding web 2.0 and its impact on our services.

The following quotes are taken from Web 2.0 Where will it take libraries? and written by Michael Stephens for a page entitled...Into a new world of librarianship.

"This librarian bases all planning and proposals for services, materials and outreach on user needs and wants". I might also add user preferred formats. For those of us targeting young adults...we need to learn both with and from them. Challenging...yes, but professionally necessary and often rewarding too.

"This librarian recognizes how services might be enhanced by the Read/Write web and how new services might be born in a climate of collaboration".
Someone replied to me from Texas...Texas. Here I am sitting in Lancaster, PA and get to hear what someone thinks half way across the United States! It still amazes me how easy and seamless this technology lets us interact with the WORLD!

"This librarian creates and nurtures a living, breathing technology plan".
Sticky...safety and expense are two hot topics when planning for technology integration. I'm all for purposeful purchases...team brainstorming/team vision/team commitment...ALL stakeholders. Sometimes, I believe we get too hung up on what might happen...we need to open Web 2.0 opportunities to communicate from school.

"This librarian recognizes how quickly the world and library users change with advancing technology".
I often felt overwhelmed that I would not be able to keep up with what's out there...until I finally accepted that I can't stay ahead of it. But, I can stay with it. Open confidence, open mind. What is truly important in not that I can teach each new technology innovation, but rather teach my students how to think...how to problem-solve...how to be comfortable with innovation. These skills will translate into any world yet to be.
"This librarian reads outside the profession and watches for the impact of technology on users and new thinking on business, because it is, in fact, related".
It's what we are preparing our students for... It's what will be expected...
"This librarian understands that the future of libraries will be guided by how users access, consume and create content".
As librarians, we should all be part of this forward flow. It' always been part of our nature...what we thrive on...
Finally, what does Library 2.0 mean to me...
Well, really it's just a stop along the way. It will be amazing to be a part of what's going on in 5 years from now...imagine...
jane

No comments: